It’s the Third Goal of Peace Corps service to promote a better understanding of the host country on behalf of Americans, and since I first accepted my invitation to serve in Peace Corps, I’ve been all about dispelling the mystery surrounding Kyrgyzstan.
For three years, Peace Corps has hosted a “Blog it Home” competition to spotlight blogs that do a spectacular job of “Third Goal’ing” about their host country. Prekrasno was selected as a finalist in the fourth annual “Blog it Home” contest! Out of over 300 submissions, this blog was picked to be in the Top 20 – say whaaaaat?
[Update: Vote for Prekrasno HERE!]
Now comes the final round of the competition, aka time to get to business. From August 11-15, Peace Corps will host a Facebook vote, after which they’ll combine the total number of votes (aka Facebook likes on a picture I chose) with the scores my blog received from a panel of judges. The top 8 are brought to DC in October for a conference that mixes Third Goal activities with professional development opportunities.
Кудай буйруса/Kudai buirusa/God willing (Insha’allah), I’ll be able to represent Kyrgyzstan in this 3rd goal extravaganza! I’ll need your help, loyal readers, to get there — so mark your calendars to vote and share, share, share between August 11-15!
To tide you over until voting starts in a week, here are my ten favorite posts:
- Why I Joined Peace Corps
- The First Day of School (Psych.)
- Kymyz, or the Kyrgyz Word for “Not for the Faint of Heart”
- I’m a Grown Woman (Maybe)
- Remembering World War II in Kyrgyzstan
- The Strangeness of Being an Official Representative of the United States
- Sing the Songs of the Land You’re In
- Crushin’ Krussian, or Code-Switching in Kyrgyzstan
- Informal $avings Groups and Women’s Economic Empowerment in Kyrgyzstan
- “I Do” Love a Good Kyrgyz Wedding
And for good measure, a Kyrgyz thanks: Чын жүрөктөн рахмат, Chyn jurokton rakhmat, and a Russian one to boot: Благодарю от всей души, Blagodaryu ot vsei dushi.